How to Cut Glass for a Custom Picture Frame
Make sure that your glass cutter is new and sharp.The glass cutter actually scores along the line of molecules.
Lubricate your glass cutter with oil.Most oils will work. Motor oil, sewing machine oil, or stove oil will work fine.
Make a straight edge that you can control.Making sure that it doesn't move will ensure that you have a clean cut.
Measure the inside of your picture frame.So you know the exact size of glass you need to cut.
Place the glass on a hard surface.When cutting your glass place it on a hard surface. This way your glass will be easy to clean up in case your glass doesn't break right.
Score the glass.Make sure when scoring your glass with your glass cutter that you don't take it off of the glass. If this happens you will not get a good score and this will result in bumps on your glass.
Make your hairline cut.Once your hairline cut is made on your glass, it will be easy to snap this off at the cut.
QuestionWhat is the oil used for?Top AnswererThe oil lubricates the glass cutter. If the cutter does not run smoothly in scoring the glass, the line will not be straight. With glass it is not possible to erase the line, so there is only one chance to get it right.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I snap the glass?Top AnswererPlace the scored glass line over a straight edge, or on the edge of a steep surface. Keep one side of the scored glass is on a flat surface. Give a sharp tap on the scored line. This will cause the glass to break along the line. Some people will tap the line against the edge of a table to break it off.Thanks!
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- If your glass cutter is old and dull, you won't be able to cut the glass in an even flow.
- You can buy most glass cutting tools at your hobby stores or home improvement stores.
- Make sure you have some durable work gloves that are made especially for glass cutting. You can find these at your local hardware store.
- Use protective eyeglasses, even the slightest bit of broken glass can cause vision impairment or even blindness.
- Don't be afraid of snapping the glass off at the score. If you do this carefully to avoid unwanted breakage, you will most likely end up with an unwanted break. Remember, the goal is to break the glass, it will break right if you're not afraid to give it a quick snap.
Video: Cut perfect compound curves in glass.
Got Blackheads Try Our 3-Ingredient DIY Scrub
Give Your Home a Healthy Makeover
9 Things You Dont Know About Colds And Flu—But Definitely Should
Balmex Diaper Rash Reviews
60 Barbed Wire Tattoo Designs For Men – Cut Into Ideas
Rihanna wore 2 trench coats on the same day
WDs Guide to Baking with Apples
Hurricane Florence: Here’s What You Need to Know About the Storm
Drinking While Pregnant Is Never Safe
Luxury Jewellery And Accessories
Amal Clooneys Polka Dot Skirt Suit Is Exactly What We Need Today
Date: 11.12.2018, 00:47 / Views: 63382