How to Make Avocado Ranch Dressing
Avocado ranch dressing is an alternative to ranch dressing that began by combining avocados with ranch dressing. Restaurants like Taco Bell and Chili's in the United States further popularized avocado ranch dressing by offering it as one of its salad dressing choices. This light green dressing looks like a green version of ranch dressing but it has the subtle herbaceous flavor of avocado and the fruit's creaminess that elevates ranch dressing into a different dressing entirely. Like ranch dressing, avocado ranch dressing can be made at home with a few ingredients you either have on hand or can purchase at a local grocery store. This dressing pairs well with just about any salad greens especially salads that include southwestern ingredients such as corn, tortillas and pico de gallo. Here's how to make avocado ranch dressing.
The Shortcut Method
Make it with 2 ingredients.
- Combine 1/2 a cup of your favorite brand of store-bought ranch dressing with 1 ripe peeled and pitted avocado in a blender or food processor. Pulse until the avocado is combined with the dressing and serve.
The Homemade Version
Prepare the avocado.
- Halve and pit 1 ripe avocado. Place the avocado in a food processor and add 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) of hot sauce (like Tabasco) and 1 tbsp. (15 ml) fresh lime juice. Set the food processor to puree or high, and puree the avocado for 30 seconds or until it is a smooth paste.
Add the remaining ingredients.
- Lift the lid from the food processor and to the avocado add: 1/2 cup (120 ml) buttermilk or whole milk, 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise, 1 tbsp. (15 ml) diced red onion, 1 tbsp. (15 ml) chopped cilantro, 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) white sugar, and 1 pinch each of salt and pepper.
Pulse to combine the ingredients.
- Replace the lid on the food processor and pulse the ingredients 5 or 6 times for about 15 seconds each time until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. It may need a few more pulses if the garlic is not chopped finely enough.
Check the seasonings.
- Check the dressing for salt and pepper and adjust if required. You can add a bit more hot sauce at this point as well, if you want it a bit spicier.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
- All mayonnaise and milk based products should be refrigerated when not being used. Refrigerate this dressing for up to 1 week.
- Avocado ranch dressing can be used as a sauce for grilled chicken burgers and it can be used as a dip for chicken nuggets, vegetables and shrimp.
- The acidity of the lime will help keep the avocado in the dressing from turning brown but keep your dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep the flavors fresh.
Video: Creamy Avocado Cilantro Ranch Dressing
Winner, Birds — Eviction attempt, Ganesh H Shankar (India) — These Indian rose-ringed parakeets returned to their nest to find a Bengal monitor lizard had taken up residence
How to Treat Cataracts with Surgery
Bebe Signature Fragrance in Doors August2009
9 Last Minute New Years Eve Outfit Ideas You Can Easily Copy
Roasted Spring Vegetables
Obesity can lead to depression
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle throw rubber wellington boots in New Zealand
The Renaissance Of The Americas Cup Glory
5 Foods That Will Help You Live Longer
How to Use the Leftover Colours in Your Go-To Eye Shadow Palette
This NBA Holiday Song Will Put Your Caroling to Shame VIDEO
Usertalk: The Metalinator
Hazelnut Spritz Cookies